I Think I’m Done…

Sunday morning I did something I thought I’d never do. I set my alarm for 4:30 am and got up in the dark to go on a headlamp run through the wooded trails. If you’re wondering why this is such a big deal, the answer is quite simple…I’m afraid of the dark. Yup. I admit it. Being outside in the woods at night when the sun is still sleeping totally freaks me out. But that was the only way that I could have company for my 18 mile training run, so I sucked it up and never let anyone know that I was completely terrified about the whole thing.

So, when the alarm went off at 4:30am and I wasn’t feeling well, it did not help the situation. Once again, my vertigo was giving me problems. I decided to start my morning off with some Alka Seltzer to help alleviate my spinning head. Unfortunately, my stomach didn’t like that idea and I ended up in the bathroom a few times before walking out the door at 5:00am. Ugh. That was not the start I was hoping for.

By the time I got to the trails to meet the girls I was feeling very anxious (aka…unsure and wanting to crawl back in bed) about the whole adventure. But their enthusiasm wore off a little and I was ready to hit the trails, headlamp and Camel Back in place. 


Once we started running, I have to admit that the dark woods hardly bothered me at all. We heard an owl in the distance, a deer ran across the trail ahead of us, and we even heard coyotes howling! But our lamps lit the way enough to ease my fears. The biggest problem was how awful I felt. After only 7 miles of running (and 2, YES 2!, unplanned emergency potty breaks in the woods, IN THE DARK) I was ready to say the words I had been thinking for about 6 miles, “I think I’m done.” I couldn’t stop thinking about how badly I did not want to be running anymore. I felt horrible and I just wanted to go back to bed. 

But the fact was, I was already out of bed and out in the woods running. I needed to get 18 miles of running in, one way or another (because this 50K isn’t going to run itself!). So, I continued on, thanks to the support of my sweat sisters! Let me tell you, I was NOT the most fun running buddy that morning. 

Finally, after only 13 miles of running (and 3 emergency potty breaks), I really was done. The clock said it was time for me to head to church. Once again, all I wanted to do was go back to bed. I still felt miserable. But, being a girl who likes to stick to her plans, I headed to church. Then I went home and back to bed. Two and a half hours later I woke up feeling much better and headed out to finish the last 5 miles of my run solo. I did it. 18 miles logged on Sunday, and I really was done. 

 Don't stop

 Don’t stop until you’re done.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *